Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weight estimation of individual machinery components during conceptual design stage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight estimation of individual machinery components during conceptual design stage

Hi everybody,

I understand that in the conceptual design stage of a vessel, the lightship weight estimation is done for intact stability calculations. Also, i know that lightship weight estimation is divided into subgroups, mainly hull weight, outfit weight and machinery weight. However, im a student doing a journal paper focusing on the weight estimation of machinery weights particularly focusing on the weight estimation of the dry weight of the diesel engine itself. May i know what is the current practice for weight estimation of the dry weight of the diesel engine? When estimating the dry weight of the diesel engines, do you guys take the dry weight of the diesel engine from the manufacturer's catalogue itself or do you guys have a formula that could give you a rough estimate of the engine weight? Also, if only the total brake power needed to propel the vessel is known and the make, model and specifications of the engine are unknown, how do you guys obtain the dry weight of the engine? Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe u wil get most accurate answer if you estimate required power of engine and select one from vendors catalogue and consider corresponding weight..

Comment

Working...
    X