Main Engine system oil running hours

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Main Engine system oil running hours

I am interested fo find out some information regarding the main engine lub oil lifetime and maintenance related.
    I would like to ask other more experienced engineers some information regarding their approach related with main engine system oil matters:
    I am working in a ship management company and I am interested for MAN B&W 6S46MC - C8 for below issues:
    What is the capacity of the sum tank? 15000 ltrs sounds normal?
    What policies are recommended for safety margins kept on board? a complete change of lub oil is normal?
    Does the system oil has lifespan?
    What is the estimated lub oil usage when overhauling one cylinder unit?
    What requirements are being taken in consideration for lub oil change? Only Lub Oil analysis?
    who is giving the lub oil change frequency, the lub oil brand or the engine maker?
    Any information regarding the above or any info regarding the main engines system oil maintenance would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

A.M.

ME Lube oil lifetime will depend on the engine type, purification process provided, contamination and recommendation from the builder etc.

1. What is the capacity of the sum tank? 15000 ltrs sounds normal? :

15000 ptrs sounds absolutely normal. The capacity can go even to 80,000 ltrs for bigger engine.

2. What policies are recommended for safety margins kept on board? a complete change of lub oil is normal?

Atleast double the quality of the sump tank capacity to keep onboard. here additional 30.000 ltrs.

A complete change of Lube oil is done as per the recommendation of engine under specific running hour period. If purification systems are working fine and the onboard lube oil tests shows no deviation, no need to change the complete lube oil before recommended running hour period.

3. Does the system oil has lifespan?

Everything has a lifespan. Check the manual or with engine manufacturer for running hours of lube oil

4. What is the estimated lube oil usage when overhauling one cylinder unit?

Overhauling cylinder unit is not connected to lube oil system of main engine. Lube oil system is shutdown and isolated during unit overhaul. To be specific a litre can of lube oil may be used for lubricating parts during fitting in.

5. What requirements are being taken in consideration for lub oil change? Only Lub Oil analysis?

One factor is results of Lube oil analysis. Most of the contaminations can be removed from lube oil by filtration and purification

Other factor is Running hours Recommended by engine manufacture (stated in manual or PMS of the company)

6. who is giving the lub oil change frequency, the lub oil brand or the engine maker?

Answered above

7. Any information regarding the above or any info regarding the main engines system oil maintenance would be much appreciated.

Early Detection of problem is the best safety margin for ship machinery. onboard Lube oil test (every 15 days) is recommended to know the condition of oil for any contamination. 3 monthly lab testing of lube oil is recommended.

Efficient operation of lube oil purifiers

Maintaining the lube oil temperature is very important for bearings

Use of heating coils during low temperature to avoid cold start

Comment

Originally posted by Anish View Post
      ME Lube oil lifetime will depend on the engine type, purification process provided, contamination and recommendation from the builder etc.

1. What is the capacity of the sum tank? 15000 ltrs sounds normal? :

15000 ptrs sounds absolutely normal. The capacity can go even to 80,000 ltrs for bigger engine.

2. What policies are recommended for safety margins kept on board? a complete change of lub oil is normal?

Atleast double the quality of the sump tank capacity to keep onboard. here additional 30.000 ltrs.

A complete change of Lube oil is done as per the recommendation of engine under specific running hour period. If purification systems are working fine and the onboard lube oil tests shows no deviation, no need to change the complete lube oil before recommended running hour period.

3. Does the system oil has lifespan?

Everything has a lifespan. Check the manual or with engine manufacturer for running hours of lube oil

4. What is the estimated lube oil usage when overhauling one cylinder unit?

Overhauling cylinder unit is not connected to lube oil system of main engine. Lube oil system is shutdown and isolated during unit overhaul. To be specific a litre can of lube oil may be used for lubricating parts during fitting in.

5. What requirements are being taken in consideration for lub oil change? Only Lub Oil analysis?

One factor is results of Lube oil analysis. Most of the contaminations can be removed from lube oil by filtration and purification

Other factor is Running hours Recommended by engine manufacture (stated in manual or PMS of the company)

6. who is giving the lub oil change frequency, the lub oil brand or the engine maker?

Answered above

7. Any information regarding the above or any info regarding the main engines system oil maintenance would be much appreciated.

Early Detection of problem is the best safety margin for ship machinery. onboard Lube oil test (every 15 days) is recommended to know the condition of oil for any contamination. 3 monthly lab testing of lube oil is recommended.

Efficient operation of lube oil purifiers

Maintaining the lube oil temperature is very important for bearings

Use of heating coils during low temperature to avoid cold start

Hey anish,
      the above information you provided is really informative and it cleared my some doubts too..

Comment

@chrishayden66, my two cents tips.
        First of all engines makers have different interests from you (or at least they don't pay your oil bills) so they tend to short the oil change intervals below any reasonable level. Add that their assumptions are based on average use and your mileage could vary significantly. Results from oil analysis are, from my point of view, the best choice and if you submit them to your oil vendor for some advise you can end up with a real tailored oil change interval. Moreover you can realize which purifier works better for you rather than follow market or advertising markets. After more than 30 years in the fluid power industry, I have obviously a personal point of view about filtration too.

Comment

Working...
        X