cargo hold inner plate crack -Actions to be taken as cheif engineer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cargo hold inner plate crack -Actions to be taken as cheif engineer

Hi every body ,iam stuck with this question during my class 1 coc examination orals ,the surveyor asked me "" AFTER DISCHARGING CARGO THE CREW WAS WASHING CARGO HOLD AND FOUND A CRACK ON THE DOBLE BOTTOM TANK TOP IN THE CARGO HOLD WHAT ACTIONS YOU WILL TAKE IN TERMS OF TEMPARORY REPAIRS RISK ASSEMENT AND REPORTING"""" I give some answer but he was not satisfied and asked me to submitt an assignment on this question now iam trying to search some content on net but could not find the senario ,any respected member can help me please with the answer ,i shall be very greatfull

Hi Muhammad, Firstly, if there was a crack in the double bottom tank top I would be very worried. The double bottom is the backbone of the ship and if it is cracked there could be serious problems with the quality of the steel used or the design of the ship. As chief engineer your first action would be to contact your classification society and technical superintendent and inform them of the problem. Repairs would have to be carried out with class approval and done by coded welders. It is not likely that you will be given permission to do any temporary repair yourself. A temporary weld is likely to crack again and you will be back to square one. You may be given a Condition of Class by your classification society allowing you to operate for a limited period of time before having the crack repaired. But supposing you were given permission to do a temporary weld. Due to the crack there will be cargo leakage into the double bottom. (Or there could be fuel in the double bottom if it is a fuel tank) Before you start any welding you must clean and gas free the double bottom. This will require enclosed space entry procedures as described in the Code of Safe Working Practice and your company Safety Management System. Ventilation, gas testing, isolation of valves to tank, rescue plan, you probably know the standards already. Once the area has been made safe for welding you will need to weld according to your Hot Work procedures, again described in the Code of Safe Working Practice and your shipboard Safety Management System. You should be familiar with hot work procedures already. Best of luck, John Pierce (Motor Chief Engineer Unlimited)

Comment

• muhammad asif malik
      Editing a comment
      Thank you sir for the information you had provided it will help me alot to formulate my answer in the assignment ,can you please be kind to tell me that in a bulk carrier the hopper tanks at the bottom on the port and stbd sides are connected with the DB tanks or they are separe tanks and DB taks are separte tanks as from the midshipsection of a bulk carrier i can not make out if the hopper tank is separe and DB tank is separte or the hopper tank is the continuation of the DB tanks .
      secondly can you please advice what could be the resons for the high exhaust temprature of one unit just after departure from port.
      As there could be alot of reasons of one unit exaust temprature high during sailng like fuel rack stuck,vit rack stuck,unit piston running hot ,unit over loaded ,liner were ,ring wear etc atc ,but what could be the reason of a one unit temprature high just after departure.

The hopper tank is generally separate from the DB tank. The lower hopper tank is for ballast while the DB tank could be for various uses. It could also be for ballast or it could be a fuel tank. For the second question, if this happens go and check the fuel rack and make sure it is in the same position on the affected unit as the other units, as the rack on this unit could have got stuck when the governor put the fuel on during the start. I think the clue to the answer is in the phrase 'just after departure'. This means there was no problem before arrival. In this case there was a leak of fuel or cylinder oil into your cylinder while the engine was stopped. This of course is the reason we turn the engine with indicator cocks open before start.

Comment

• muhammad asif malik
      Editing a comment
      Thankyou very much sir for the informaton

By the way I thought your original question was with regards to an oil tanker. That is why I mentioned cargo leakage (flammable) into the double bottom. Reading the question again I see you used the term cargo hold not cargo tank so of course you were referring to a cargo ship.

Comment

sir, i have a doubt. In tandem type air compressor how 2nd stage piston getting lubricated?

Comment

I have seen a Korean compressor (Donghwa) where the second stage of the tandem compressor is lubricated through small holes drilled through the cylinder block. The oil is delivered in very small amounts by a lubricator, through a small bore tube and then through the drillings.

Comment

Working...
        X