Info on life rafts in cruise ships needed for research

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info on life rafts in cruise ships needed for research

Hey, everyone. This is not a typical post for this forum, I'm sure, but I hope some of you can help me out with your expertise.

I am a writer currently working on a novel in which the first scene shows the evacuation of a sinking cruise ship. I've had many people object to me regarding my scene where three characters evacuate using a life raft. I show that the ship is half submerged and the characters go to the lowest floor in the ship that is not submerged. They jump out of a window into the sea and then board a life raft. Is this scene unrealistic? I'd appreciate any help!

Thanks a lot!

Well, life rafts are usually located inside a hard container capsule on the ship. They can be launched in 3 ways which are automatically, manually or launching by Davits. Since your story depicts your characters boarding a life raft that’s already in the sea, it’s realistic because the life raft launching system (Hydrostatic Release Unit) will automatically launch the life raft to the surface and inflate when a sinking of a ship occurs.

Comment

Originally posted by Devanshi Gupta View Post
      Hey, everyone. This is not a typical post for this forum, I'm sure, but I hope some of you can help me out with your expertise.

I am a writer currently working on a novel in which the first scene shows the evacuation of a sinking cruise ship. I've had many people object to me regarding my scene where three characters evacuate using a life raft. I show that the ship is half submerged and the characters go to the lowest floor in the ship that is not submerged. They jump out of a window into the sea and then board a life raft. Is this scene unrealistic? I'd appreciate any help!

Thanks a lot!

Perfectly normal except for one thing, the size of the liferaft. Cruise ships and Ferries usually carry 150 man life rafts as determined by SOLAS Regulations as opposed to the small 4 to 10 man types carried on yachts and fishing vessels.

Comment

• Life rafts are stored in a fibreglass container, incorporated with a high-pressure gas used for inflating life raft at the time of emergency. A Hydrostatic Release Unit (HRU) is connected to raft container and ship, which release the raft even after the ship sinks in water. Check the link below for more info
        Prime Power Solution Ltd are International Suppliers of UK Designed & Manufactured Diesel Generator built to High British Standards.
        Last edited by juliusbarry; 1 day ago.

Comment

Life rafts are stored in a fibreglass container, incorporated with a high-pressure gas used for inflating life raft at the time of emergency. A Hydrostatic Release Unit (HRU) is connected to raft container and ship, which release the raft even after the ship sinks in water. Check here for more info https://www.primepowersolution.com

Comment

Working...
          X