X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CODie.Maritime
    replied
    Hello Vaughan,
    I would like to advise you to seek employment onboard of any such ship. I understand it might be not possible for you to invest so much time or to obtain the required certification. However, if you cannot acquire the experience by yourself then you need to team up with a trusted person who has the skill. Keep in mind your business' fortune will rely on this person, so choose wisely and make him a shore holder.

Honestly this is all very dangerous without own knowledge of the subject, you should only risk it if your family could handle a complete loss off the invested money.

Leave a comment:

• Han van Blanken
    replied
    hello Vaughan, shipping is very complex. It requires a variety of expert skills plus a substantial capital enabling to start a venture. Most of all it requires a plan. After having gained experience in the business for some 40 years I am teaching people about shipping and how to be successful. Starting in shipping based on a certain interest is likely not sufficient. it is perhaps better to continue studying further and make a plan first.

Leave a comment:

• Advice Concerning the Starting of a Tramp Shipping Company

Hi All,

I have been interested in the tramp shipping business for some time now and have been looking into the feasibility of creating my own tramp shipping company. I have already purchased and read a number of books on the subject, from the standpoint of the business owner. I have no experience in shipping, the only knowledge I have so far is from the various books I have read.

Based on what I have read and from my limited understanding so far, I would first need to start a company, secure financing from a bank, preferably a maritime bank and purchase a relatively low cost ship in reasonable condition, either container or bulk. I would imagine that securing finance would be the most difficult hurdle to overcome. I also assume that as the business owner I may need some technical knowledge on the operation of such ships even with a crew operating the ship.

Any advice or suggestions on the topic would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Working...
X