No announcement yet.

Medical fitness requirement

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medical fitness requirement

Good day sir, I am a deck cadet completed my Nautical science bsc course. I am medically fit and without any history of operations or any illness. I recently discovered that i am born with only one kidney. After consulting a urologist he suggested it is not a medical issue and it wont affect me later in any way or in my work. After searching a lot on dg website regarding medical requirements. I din find anything relating to Kidneys. Can u please guide me on this matter and am I medically fit to work on merchant ship.

jake As per the rule, Two functional kidneys are required as the work areas on ships will have temperature variations. You can confirm this by an approved DG shipping doctor as they will be the best person to clear your doubt.​

• jake
      jake commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you sir for your guidance. I recently approached Dg shipping approved doctor and i was given medical fitness certificate. Only condition they had regarding seafarer with single kidney is that, it shloud be by birth. Secondly to avoid ne confusion or delay during medicals, the seafarer should get ct scan or sonography done befr hand and carry report stating Renal agenesis (by birth) and not kidney not found. As you are an active member so I am passing this information to you sir with hope tht you can guild many more seafarers who are in doubt abt there career due to this condition.
      Thank you.